Pistachio Ice Cream
Posted on January 30 2013 | (0) Comments
Category: Raw Dessert and Snack Recipes
Yield: 3 cups (4 to 6 servings)
This lovely pale green ice cream treats you to the unmistakable flavor and crunch of pistachios.
- 2 cups Pistachio Milk, unsweetened
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked for 8 to 12 hours (2/3 cup after soaking), drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup light agave syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup raw pistachios, soaked for 8 to 12 hours (1/3 cup after soaking), drained, rinsed, and finely chopped
- measuring cups and spoons
- cutting board
- paring knife
- rubber spatula
- ice-cream maker
Pour 1/2 cup of the Pistachio Milk and all of the cashews in a blender and process until very smooth. Add the remaining 1 1/2 cups Pistachio Milk and all of the agave syrup, almond extract, and salt and process until blended. Transfer to a jar and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or up to 2 days. Put the mixture in an ice-cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. Crumble the finely chopped pistachios into the ice-cream maker 30 seconds before you turn the machine off.
Pistachio Ice Cream tastes if best eaten immediately, but it will keep for 5 days stored in a sealed container in the freezer. Thaw for a few minutes before serving.
Ahead of Time
Soak the pistachios and the cashews for 8 to 12 hours. Drain and rinse. The soaked nuts can be stored in the refrigerator for 2 days.
Pista Kulfi (Indian Pistachio Ice Cream): Replace the almond extract with 1/4 teaspoon of ground cardamom.