Yield: 2 cups
Young coconut meat is the secret ingredient here. It provides the color and texture of dairy cream—without the dairy. Use raw Pastry Cream in Classic Fruit Tart.
- 1 1/2 cups young coconut meat (from 3 coconuts)
- 1/3 cup light agave syrup, honey, or maple syrup
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, or 1 vanilla bean, seeds only
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- Pinch turmeric
- 2 tablespoons virgin coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon soy lecithin powder (optional)
Put the coconut meat, agave syrup, water, orange juice, vanilla extract, salt, almond extract, and turmeric in a blender and process until very smooth. Stop occasionally to scrape down the sides of the blender jar with a rubber spatula. Add the coconut oil and optional soy lecithin powder and process until smooth.
Stored in a sealed container in the refrigerator, Pastry Cream will keep for 3 days.
Related Blog Posts: Dreamy Pastry Cream